I’m trying to master the instant pot so we made Beef Bourgnion in 1 hour — but you can make in the Dutch oven or other oven worthy slow cooking pot.
- 8 ounces dry cured center cut applewood smoked bacon diced
- 2 1/2 pounds chuck beef cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound carrots sliced in chunks
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic 2 cloves
- 1/2 cup Cognac
- 1 750 ml bottle good dry red wine such as Burgundy, Pinot Noir
- 1 cup of beef broth
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- Bunch of fresh thyme leaves
- 10 shallots or 1 pound frozen whole onions
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms thickly sliced
1. Skillet cook the bacon till fat is rendered and bacon is browned.
2. Remove with a slotted spoon to a large plate or bowl.
3. Dry the beef cubes with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
4. In batches in single layers, sear the beef in the bacon fat for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
5. Remove the seared cubes to the plate with the bacon and continue searing until all the beef is browned. Set aside.
6. Toss the carrots, and onions, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper in the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned.
7. Remove to the plate.
8. Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes, add butter if the pan gets dry, my pan didn’t.
9. Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
10. Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol.
11. Put everything into the instant pot and add the bottle of wine, the tomato paste, beef broth and thyme.
12. Cook for 1 hour on high pressure
13. When the time is up, let the pressure come down naturally for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the steam release valve to the venting position to release the remaining pressure.