Vegetable Gratin with Cauliflower & Leeks
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2-3 leeks, white part thinly sliced
- 1 Cup heavy Cream
- 1 ½ cups white Cheddar, grated, or any melting cheese you fancy, could be Gruyère
- Olive oil
- Salt & Black Pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Slice cauliflower into 1/2-inch thick slices, including the core and leaves. Keep all the small bits that fall away they will be used.
- Drizzle a little olive oil onto the bottom of a deep sided baking dish. Layer about 1/3 of the cauliflower on the bottom, then ⅓ of the leeks. Season with salt and pepper, and repeat until all of the vegs are used. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour cream all over.
- Then top with the cheese.
- Lightly cover with foil and pop in the oven.
- Bake covered for 30/40 mins depending on your oven, until the cauliflower is nearly totally cooked.
- Remove foil and sprinkle bread crumbs on top.
- Put it back in the oven and watch carefully until the top is golden brown and crisp, 10-15 mins.
- Let cool a bit before devouring. Great accompaniment to any meat or poultry dish, or you could add some cooked meat into the mix, especially good with leftover chicken and make it a standalone meal.