Red Lentil Soup
- 1 1/2 cup Red Lentils
- 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 big onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 big carrots chopped up
- 3 cloves of garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch of cayenne or chill powder
- 1/2 lemon
- 30 fluid ounces/ 900ml of chicken stock
- 20 fluid ounces / 600 ml water
- Salt and Pepper
1. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a big pot or dutch oven And Heat on high. Add onions and garlic and cook till golden about 3 mins.
2. Stir in tomato paste, cumin, salt, black pepper and a PINCH of chili powder or cayenne, salt and pepper and fry for 2 minutes.
3. Add stock and water, lentils and carrot. Bring to a simmer, then partially cover the pot and turn heat to medium-low. Simmer until lentils are soft, about 30 minutes.
4. Using an immersion blender, purée the soup a bit, but not totally, leave some recognizable carrots. The soup should be a little lumpy.
5. Taste and add more salt if needed.
6. Add a good squeeze of lemon juice.