- 3 lbs of Stewing Beef, with good marbling
- 4 Tablespoons Butter
- 3 rashers of bacon chopped up small
- 3 red onions sliced finely
- 4 cloves of garlic squashed
- 4 carrots sliced (don’t slice your finger like me)
- 4 small leeks trimmed and
- 4 stalks of celery chopped
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 4 sprigs of parsley
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cans of Guinness
- 4 ozs of cheddar cheese chopped into small cubes or grated
- 2 tablespoons of raspberry/strawberry or blackberry/blueberry jam or jelly as you say here in the US
- pepper and salt
- Heat oven to 350. Brown the meat in batches and remove it to the Dutch oven or big oven-safe casserole pot.
- Lower the heat to medium and cook the bacon to render the fat, then add the onions and garlic in the same pan, 10 mins at least till, remove to the Dutch oven.
- Add some butter to the pan and cook the carrots, celery, leeks, add to the Dutch oven.
- Add some more butter to the pan and cook the mushrooms till all their juices have cooked off and add it to the pot.
- Make your bouquet, tie together: 4 sprigs of thyme, 4 sprigs of parsley, 4 sprigs of rosemary.
- Cover the meat and vegetables with two cans of Guinness. Tuck the bouquet garni into the pot.
- Get the lot in the oven with the lid on for 90 mins.
- Remove the lid, give everything a good stir, add the cheese, and the jam. Cook for another 30-40 mins until the meat is meltingly cooked. It should ‘cut’ with a fork. Pull out the bouquet garni and the bay leaves.
- Serve with Mashed Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts or whatever veggies you love and why not have a Guinness or a glass of red wine.